The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald This is my second time reading "The Great Gatsby" and this time, as an adult. I'm torn between giving this 3 or 4 stars but I decided on four stars because I'm a sucker for a tragic story with an unsettled ending. Fitzgerald can write some beautiful descriptions and they come across very sharp. The first time reading this, I was in High School and wasn't quite able to grasp the theme of infidelity. Reading this as an adult, this theme and even the "love story" is easier to grasp and relate to. However, I didn't relate to or even like most of the characters of the book; spoiled, haughty, uber rich middle age adults acting like children. This didn't bother me as much as how short the book seemed and very rushed. I think Fitzgerald could have expanded this further because sometimes the chapters jump months ahead and we lose so much character development that the connection you have with them is on a very thin thread. All of the faults are overshadowed by the tragic ending, I really love when an Author doesn't feel they have to give a book the "Happy ending" they think everyone wants. I'm glad I decided to read this again as an adult because I got SO much more out of it and a greater understanding of why this book is such a successful classic.