The Haunting of Hill House

The Haunting of Hill House - I love Shirley Jackson, I really do. I've always put this book on the back burner because I wasn't in the "mood" for a haunted house story. Little did I know that this is SO much more than that. Okay, yes... it IS a story of a haunted house but what Jackson has done for the haunted genre mirrors what Hitchcock did for the spooky film genre. She knows how to descriptively get into the mind and send icy chills throughout your body. I think one of my favorite things about this book is how much I hated all the characters. Usually when one reads a book full of detested characters, that book is hard to get through. This was not the case for “The Haunting of Hill House”, even though the characters had horrible qualities, it only added to the terror of Hill House. It showed just how far people can fall when faced with madness… one who has deplorable characteristics can somehow become even more intolerable when driven to the edge. I loved every bit of the fall from mediocrity (most books follow the “fall from grace”), Jackson wanted to show that everyone who enters the house will be affected negatively. I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good chill down the spine, the kind of spook we get from watching an Alfred Hitchcock movie. [ai:Alfred Hitchcock|9420|Alfred Hitchcock|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1208725187p2/9420.jpg]